The attunement procedure is a ceremony of spirit. In this ceremony the Reiki master uses the Reiki symbols and other
gestures in a prescribed way. This ceremony creates an energy pattern around the recipient of the attunement which entrains
(or attunes) their energy field to the energies represented by the symbols. The attunement is permanent, thus making
the recipient a Reiki practitioner, only if the master uses the symbol for the "subconscious". If this symbol is not
used the entrainment is temporary only.
In this ceremony the master does the following:
- Grounds and centers themselves. Instructs the recipient(s) in grounding and centering themselves. Remind the
recipients this is their ceremony and be open to any and all experiences which happen. Perhaps puts on some mood setting
music, lights incense, etc. The Master starts standing in front of the recipients and it is traditional for him/her
to hold their hands up high at shoulder height with palms facing forward. The recipients should be seated in a row with
room around them for the Master to walk around them easily.
- Walk around the recipients one full circle and then behind the row again standing behind the first recipient.
- There are two halves to the ceremony, one part done behind the recipient, the other part done in front.
- Hold the left hand palm up next to the recipients head. The left hand generally receives energy while the right
hand generally gives energy.
- With the right hand draw the symbols over the crown of the recipients head.
- When done with their backsides, walk around to the front.
- At the front take the recipients hands between your own for a moment.
- Draw the symbols over the hand. Drawing each symbol once, and as you draw silently chanting the name of the symbol
- Visualize the master symbol in violet and lightly blow, twice, from the base chakra to the crown chakra.
- Lightly touch the forehead (third eye).
- Draw the symbols over the forehead (third eye). Again drawing each symbol once, and chanting the name of the symbol
- Gently separate the hands.
- Visualize the master symbol again and gently blow from base to crown.
- Visualize the master symbol in the palm of your right hand and hold it over the recipients left hand. Lightly slap
the palm of your right hand into the palm of their left hand.
- Visualize the master symbol in the palm of your left hand and old it over the recipients right hand. Again lightly
slap your palm into theirs.
- Visualize the master symbol and gently blow into the area between their hands while bringing their palms together again.
- Give back their hands and gently touch them in the heart area, visualizing that you've given them back to themselves.
- Step back and bow, honoring them for who they are.
- Once all the recipients have been attuned make another circle around them, ending up in front again.